Saturday, February 29, 2020

Getting ready for planting.

I have a friend who has re inspired me to more action with my garden. Katy Rose. as such I am not just talking about action I am moving forward with it.
Leading to my basement door we have worn a path in the grass. The basement is the section of my house that my husband and I live in.

The patio out side of this area is dappled shade with full sun for about 4 hrs a day. There is a sloping hill leading down to the patio and entrance. I have been planning to put in a garden path to cover the worn path. I don't want a side walk it would be to glaring in the way it would stand out. so we are planning on something more charming.
We also have been talking about putting a retaining wall for the hill. Instead after reading more on cold crops I have decided to use the area for terrace beds for spinach, lettuces, broccoli, and cauliflower.
I visited the seed store in Est Alton, Wood river area Community Seed co. http://www.communityconcretestatuary.com/ . I found them when driving by and realized they would have a cement Japanese lanterns. I was correct.
While there I discovered they sell seeds by the scoop. It is so charming they are been there for over 50 years and selling seeds. I knew with that kind of experience I can trust them to know the growing planting times for the area. In general here it is tax day you can put your tomatoes out, but that is the only thing I knew for sure. I asked the owner when I should put out my cold crops and he suggested waiting another 2 weeks. He did mention that there were some die hards that were risking putting out lettuces now but they were not worried if they failed either.
So while I am waiting for the 2 weeks I can get the beds ready for planing. This means making them. I have started moving cement blocks in order to shift soil to be nice and level.
The idea of doing this is it is  to not change the grading of the hill so I don't need any permits. and it gives me veggie planting areas. Low maintenance is the key here. I find things grow best for me when they are in the ground. It means I can ignore it more. I will also be doing more whiskey barrels but on the lower patio for my cooler loving herbs like oregano, and my sugar snap peas. they did great till summer got harsh and then they burned out fast, last year. I am hoping that the cooler area will mean more crop less work.
I need to clean up the compost pile and shift it some so the littlest member of the pack can't jump in it any more.

The whole back yard needs cleaning but that will not be this weekend. One area one project at a time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment