Saturday, September 16, 2023

How to be a Velociraptor. What to do while waiting to be a peer instead of beeting up peers and self.

 I am seeing my friends who are peers and on the path to peerhood in the Society for creative Anachronism (referred to as sca here on out.) Both struggling and being attacked verbally. And as a apprentices and a Protégé, who has a large personality and is not afraid to express it. I have some words for people.

Be kind & give grace!

Peers are people too they are people who are just like you. Peers are recognized for being peers they aren't made peers. 

This means that some times there are people who were missed or skipped over by the out side viewer. But one person being recognized doesn't take away from a different person's value.

But if we stop and remember we all have a little kid inside us that stomps their foot and says "look at me!, seem me!, where is mine!"

I am no different. As I watch my friends be elevated I am proud of them. They deserve the recognition. That doesn't mean there isn't a little child inside saying,why am I not good enough.

That is when the adult part of me steps up and reminds me that Meh it is ok I have stuff to keep me busy and it might never come and that is ok because I, you, us, can do everything a person who has a peer title does except go to peer meeting and vote in peer meetings. 

We can teach, inspire, lead, serve, lift up others, and so on. 

Yup you heard me correctly. We are every thing a peer is. So we need to stop beating down our friends in the peer ranks. We can also stop holding them up so high that we expect them to be perfect. 

Want to know what peer like behavior is? 

Really you already know what it is. 

It is taking a breath when your upset and thinking how you would LIKE TO BE TREATED, when you are not perfect. 

It is saying thank you for waiting on me when we are late and then working to not be late. It is hearing someone's frustrations and responding with compassion it is recommending folks for recognition and awards.  It is giving up your office so others can step up and have a turn serving. 

It is realizing you have over committed so working to not do that next time so you can do a better job. 

Yes being a Laurel is about research along with possibly art and science and Pelican is about service but anyone can do these things what make a peer is the other stuff the peer like qualities. 

They are people who are still human with families, jobs, school, health issues and emotions. 

if it feels like some people who have these titles are not always shining examples of grace and kindness. Well duh who is? A Saint maybe? 

But if you start kicking a person they will run out of grace and kindness real quick. Do you genuinely blaim them.

When you are frustrated please stop before attacking and ask yourself how can I express in words what I am feeling so not to do harm. 

I am not perfect all this post is a reminder to me. We all need to remind ourselves of how to be better. 

I picked a insanely large subject to love and research. I highly doubt I can learn enough on the subject of my persona and games played in an taveran or ale house durring the Tudor times in the port of Swansea. And it is not the fault of the group of humans that hold the title of peer, (some of which I know and some I don't), that they don't know how to learn what I know on my subject of board games played in this period and especially the ones played on the Mary Rose. It is not anyone's problem or fault that I am dyslexic and so communicating is difficult in the writen word. And zoom is a nightmare for extroverts. See remembering this helps with perspective.

Why would I beet up the body of people who vote on who is a peer. 

That feels like unproductive use of my time. 

So instead of worrying about that.

I can teach, and run things, and do things and remember I can do everything a peer can. Then I can do it. 

I am not a Laurel I am not a Pelican. 

I AM A Velociraptor! 

Small and mighty! The size a large wild turkey, with rainbow feathers. That runs in packs. 

How you can be one too.

 Teach!

 ART OUT LOUD! 

LIFT OTHERS UP! 

WHEN YOU MESS UP APOLOGIZE! 

GIVE OTHERS GRACE!

GIVE YOURSELF GRACE!

 WRITE PEOPLE IN FOR AWARDS! 

TELL PEOPLE WHEN THEY INSPIRE YOU OR DO SOMETHING OR MAKE SOMETHING AND COOL!

I understand the world has lots of big things going on. But everyone has an inside battle. 

EVERYONE! 

Join me and be a Velociraptor too. Peers are wellcome as well because they need a break from all those meetings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment