Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Pewter casting a Drop spindle site token

I am in the SCA. For those of you who have no idea what that is.
Society for Creative
Anachronism, Inc.
The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. Our "Known World" consists of 19 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in



countries around the world. Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which feature tournaments, royal courts, feasts, dancing, various classes & workshops, and more.

I Volunteered to make the site tokens for our Fall Event which is dedicated to classes. I am a spinner (I spin fiber into yarn) so I wanted to make small drop spindles.




Basically they're coins that slide on to a stick and can be used to spin. The Coin part is Called a Whorl (whirl) THIS IS MY FIRST EVER PEWTER CASTING. Yes some may say why would you volunteer to do something like make 50 pewter castings when you have never done it before. But for me this is what I do. I love to learn things and pewter casting is something I have admired for years now and wanted to learn.






So tonight I carved soap stone with tools, and learned to fill it with molten metal and this is the result. Now I have to 1st off thank Master Phillip for he lead the way and had all the tools and materials. Next Tue when we caste the 50 that we need I will try to remember the camera so that I can have some one take photos of the goings on of how it is done. There are 4 hands on the coin. I don't know if you can make them out in the photos. The name of the event is For Hands. In other words to keep your hands busy. There will be lots of cool classes including Pewter casting Which I will take so I can play some more. (I see me going to a plumbing shop real soon to buy a metal melting cauldron.) And in case you are wondering I used chop sticks for the staff. they are tapered and I could get 50 cheep.
Also seeing how bad my mouse pad look I think I need to recover it or get a new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment